At home somewhere in this world

Just a place to talk to myself

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Hand Crafted

I thought it was an antiquated custom but my new neighbors had me over for dinner last Saturday so we could get to know each other. Rob and Beatrice are a lovely but unexpected couple. He works for border patrol and she is Mexican and somehow they share an affinity for Rock Climbing. Beatrice and Rob are engaged but she still technically lives across the border. She made the best lasange I've ever had and we watched a rock climbing video and chatted. Their cousin Zira was also there. She is the assistant to the mexican consolate. As soon as they new the photo story I was working on I had a border patrol agent a mexican friend who lived across the border and the assistant to the mexican consolate all offering me tips and advice and help meeting people. What more could a girl ask for?

So today I took Beatrice up on her offer to show me Agua Preita wich is the mexican city on the other side of the border. She drove me around and showed me the hotels where illegals congregate and hire guides to help them cross. She said its impossible to get a taxi for regular used in the city anymore as all the taxis are hired by these hotels to bring would be illegals to the hotel to stay the night.

The best part of the day was not photographing would be illegals before their trek it was visiting Beatrice's home and her father. He has to be the warmest most welcoming man I've met. His business is hand crafting jewelry. You see a picture of a piece you want and he'll make if for you. When he learned I was living alone he said I could join his family. He took us out for lunch at his good friends restaraunt and beamed at every mmmmm yummy noise I made. Then he let me take pictures while he melted gold and stretched it to make the links in a braclet. I think that man gave me more hugs and kisses than I've had in months! Then he gave me a beatiful silver and coral and turquise pendant. I've never gotten a gift like that made by someones own hands and a man I'd just met hours before none the less. Its hard to feel alone anywhere in the world when there are people like Beatrice and her father out there handcrafting a welcome for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home