At home somewhere in this world

Just a place to talk to myself

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Ramadan

The muslim Holy month of Ramadan started today here in Zanzibar. I'm now staying with a local family named the Awaths. They are a muslim family and are observing Ramadan. So I'm excited to get a first hand view of celebration. Mostly it means that muslims are fasting during the day and only eat after sunset and before sunrise. They also obstain from things they might normally be their vices like smoking, drinking, or for women dressing without a head covering. So its time to break out the long skirts and head coverings. I'm also praying for each of them during this time. I haven't quite made up my mind yet whether to fast with them while I'm praying for them. But if anyone else wants to be in prayer for my friends the Awaths I'm going to list their names so you can choose one of them and pray for them during Ramadan that they would come to know the true living God. Their names are Sakina, Fahmi, Mohamed, Mohamed, Mohymed, Cholo, Ipti, Amina, Josh, Tamima, Bighani, Suleem, and... I can't remember her name but she is Suleem's wife. There also two more brothers I can't remember the names of I'll add them to the list later.

I just came back from a 9 day stint on the east coast fishing village/ tourist haven called Jambiani. I think I came out with some great images of people harvesting seaweed. Life there revolves around the tide. When the tide is out You can see almost the entire village in the tide pools collecting something. It's either seaweed, clams, seaslugs, worms for fishing with, coconut husks for making rope, or fish. Everything has its use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home